ou look up in the corner of your bathroom and see something that suspiciously resembles mold. What should you do? First, don’t panic.
The CDC doesn’t recommend testing the mold but instead getting rid of it quickly. People can be sensitive to molds and may develop wheezing, a stuffy nose, or itchy, watery eyes. If left untreated, mold can make you really sick, and the spores can settle into your lungs.
Regardless of whether the mold is toxic, the sooner you get rid of it, the better. Your number one priority should be to notify your landlord immediately. Tell them where the mold is, what it may look like, and if there are any smells. Take a few pictures while you’re at it. Together, you and your landlord can find the best solution to eradicate the mold before it worsens. Here are five steps you should take if you spot mold in your apartment: